Something wonderful happened last week: this blog was nominated for a Liebster Award by Laura at Caledon Acres! Thank you so much for thinking of this little blog and its stories. It’s wonderful to know that they’re being enjoyed. I’m very happy to accept it… and to answer all the fun questions that come along with the award!
(I don’t think I’ve ever said this, but I find any sort of questionnaire irresistible. I used to spend hours on those quiz websites, doing quiz after quiz until I forgot who I was.)
11 Questions about Me
- How did you arrive at the name for your blog? Well… it’s my name.
- If all forms of the name had already been taken, what was your second choice? I called my tumblr ‘the glittering grey stars’… it’s from a poem I wrote (yeah, I’m self-centered) where I used that to describe neurons that are struggling with life problems.
- What or who inspired you to start blogging? I knew I had to do it, since I wanted to be an author and all authors have blogs. At least, that’s what all the tutorials say. But it’s turned into a great place to get a summary of who I am and what kind of content I like to produce.
- Describe yourself in three words. Optimistic, goal-oriented raccoon.
- What is your biggest fear? Looking back on my life and being unhappy with the choices I made.
- What is your own personal favorite of your own blog posts, and why? Six. I love Six. But Mzungu Town is the non-fiction piece of which I’m the proudest.
- Where did you spend most of your life, and where are you now? Paraguay. I’m now back, but just for a little while.
- What is a “big” blog that you enjoy and why? Probably Trout Nation. I just can’t stop myself from reading detailed reviews of extremely problematic books. And her tips on writing and plot have really helped me, while being very entertaining.
- What is your favorite quote, by whom, and why? It’s extremely long. But it’s also extremely good… and you can find it in this post. I love envisioning life as an eternal search for something that transcends us.
- Knowing what you know now, what advice would you give your fresh-out-of-school self? You’re going to be more than okay.
- I am all about bloggers helping other bloggers. Help us help you. If someone wanted to show your blog some love, what would be your preferred method — a Facebook share? Sharing on Twitter? Subscribing to your blog? Commenting on your blog? Submitting your posts to Stumbleupon? Or something else? Let’s all read their answers and try to make that happen. Any sort of publicity is welcome! But Twitter, Facebook and likes are my favorite. Leaving comments on my work is also a really nice thing to do.
11 Random Facts About Me
- I have fanfics lined up as far as 2018. I even have outlines for them.
- I never actually thought I would be a Person Who Travels. I always knew I wanted to study outside of Paraguay, and maybe do a year of service somewhere else… but all the travelling it seems that I’ll be doing really comes as a surprise.
- A weird side-effect of my moving back home has been the inability to catch up with shows I missed. Instead, all I do is watch shows I’ve already watched.
- I don’t believe in writing Lord of the Rings fanfiction. I just don’t believe that it can be done well.
- There’s a song called ‘Noviembre sin ti’ that me and my friends only allow ourselves to sing in November. We REFUSE to sing or hear it on any other month.
- I was bitten by an Aedes Aegipti mosquito last week and I don’t have dengue yet, so I guess it wasn’t contaminated.
- If I’m ever unable to have a cat because of the size of my apartment, I will adopt a chinchilla.
- The Last Coven was inspired by the city of Posadas, in Argentina.
- My best friend has been my best friend for over 16 years.
- Moddi is possibly my favorite artist of all time.
- I have been writing novels for a long time… but I still haven’t discovered The One: the novel that I can truly dedicate my life to. Right now, I’m still exploring.
There should be at least five blogs here, but the truth is I could only think of these three as worthy of an award. That makes them all the more special! They’re my favorite.
- Cleansing Our Misconceptions: a blog by my friend Ruha Matin, whom I know in real life. It’s full of passionate, in-depth posts about feminism, human rights and various social issues. She’s covered all sorts of subjects, and she writes in both English and Spanish.
- The Old Shelter: Sarah maintains a blog full of really interesting info, pictures, videos and fiction about the 1920s. I started reading her posts during NaNoWriMo a few years back, and going through her blog is like plunging deep into the 1920s!
- Heed Not Steve: I feel so calm when I read the posts in this blog. I found Silly Old Day ridiculously adorable. Steve’s work is quirky, short and profound.
- Do you have goals for your blog? What are they?
- Do you share your blog with people you know in person?
- What is the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
- What kind of blogs do you like to read the most?
- Do you have a blogging schedule?
- If you could have any kind of pet, what would it be?
- What is your own personal favorite of your own blog posts, and why?
- What about you now would shock the you from 10 years ago?
- What is your favorite way to interact with other bloggers?
- What was the first blog you remember reading
- What is something you’re looking forward to this month?
Rules of the Liebster Award
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award and you chose to accept it, write a blog post about the Liebster Award in which you:
- Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog in your post.
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget” (the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post).
- Answer 11 questions about yourself, which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you.
- Provide 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 1000 followers. (you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a count that lets the readers know this information)
- Create a new list of questions for the nominees to answer
- List these rules in your post (copy and paste from here). Once you have written and published it, you then have to:
- Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster Award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it!)